Saturday, December 1, 2012

To Be Attractive... Or Not

I was flipping through an old notebook and found an interesting little written doodle about attractiveness, and I thought I’d share. So here it is.


Dated Friday, July 25, 2008

I wonder why one person considers another person attractive. That’s a strange thing to think on. There are some people, like famous actors, that a lot of people find attractive. But not everyone will. I doubt that there’s any one single person in the world that every other person in the world is going to find attractive.

Beauty is such an ephemeral concept. The perception of beauty and what is considered handsome, attractive, or good-looking varies from culture to culture and society to society. The global information network allows for communication and transfer of ideas across seas and continents. Many stars are globally famous, and it is to be assumed that a large number of people around the world consider those stars handsome, beautiful, attractive, good-looking, etc.

There are also cultures in various countries whose ideal of appearance would be thought to be strange, if not downright unpleasant. It’s such an interesting phenomenon.

I also wonder what makes people attractive to me. My best friend and I have different taste in guys, but not entirely opposite. You could gather together, say, 100 guys, and I guarantee that there will be a group of them that my friend finds attractive and I don’t, a group of them that I think are attractive and she doesn’t, and then there will be some that we both find attractive.


That sounds about right to me. Glad I agree with my past self!

No comments:

Post a Comment