Sunday, May 19, 2013

On Fandom

I am a geek, no doubt about it. The only question is: what kind of geek am I?

I game a little (random sci-fi, Pathfinder). I like many different things. I like Lord of the Rings, Hunger Games, Harry Potter, Avengers, Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Sherlock, and more. I even like Twilight (not as much as I used to, though. I think I’m growing out of it just a little).

That covers most of the things that I like that I’ve actually seen or read all or most of the books/movies/episodes that are available. What about the things where I’ve only experienced a small portion of what’s available? Why do I like those things so much?

We’ll start with Supernatural. I have never seen a single episode of Supernatural, yet I have a seemingly unfounded recognition of and affection for the characters (somebody really needs to make a decent Supernatural music fanvid using the song ‘Send Me an Angel.’ It seems like the logical thing to do).

Then there’s the big one: Doctor Who. I have only seen six episodes of the reboot, but my love for this show is so huge that sometimes it feels like I can’t contain it inside my head or heart.

Why? Who do I have so much love for these things I don’t even really know? I'll tell you why: the internet. The internet and Pinterest. The geek category on Pinterest is highly addictive-I’ve literally spent hours scrolling through pictures and articles that others have pinned into the geek category. It’s difficult to stop.

It’s all your fault, internet. You make me smile when I see Dean, Sam, and Castiel. I’ve only seen one episode with Ten and five episodes with Nine, and you, internet, make me squeal and sigh and melt with joy when I see any of the Doctors. I love them. I love all of them. And it’s all your fault.

Nicely done, internet. Nicely done.

No comments:

Post a Comment